Final Blog Post

Hello all,

For the final blog post, write a short response to the Hernandez’s God and Science. The response may do any of the following, but should draw our attention to a specific page from the text:

• relate Hernandez’s work to the comics that we’ve looked at this term
  • consider his work’s engagement with the Silver Age
  • reflect upon God and Science’s attempts to develop a counterhistory of women superheroes
  • respond to or further develop ideas by someone who responded earlier than to you to the blog post.

I’m curious to hear your reactions to the text, and look forward to seeing you all after a break of, in some cases, two weeks.

6 thoughts on “Final Blog Post

1. The Ti-Girls only group is a pretty cool superhero pack. One of the characters that want to be a superhero reminds me of the mother from the shadow hero because she has this idea for her son to be a superhero. The main character in Marvels also becomes a superhero in her own way. The idea of being a superhero, saving lives, fighting crime being one with a superhero team, or having your own superhero team, whether they have read about it, or to find a purpose in life. I also see in God and Science Return of the Ti-Girls when the one girl who lives with the landlord desires to be with the Ti-Girls and so becomes that superhero with the help of one of the Ti-Girls.

2. Early into Part I, when the girls discovered the pile old comics and are curious about the TI-Girls, one tells another, “Them I’ve never been able to find much on. They were from the sixties and seventies and they were made up solely of rejects from other superteams.” The use of “rejects” right there immediately had me thinking about the X-Men, who were also from the Silver Age of the sixties and were mutants, introduced as outcasts of society.

I also agree with Erika that the main character in Marvels also took her own creative path to become a superhero — something similar to what we witness in TI-Girls.

I thought the dialogue “they said they already have an ethnic,” was seeped in sarcasm. This came out a year before Ms. Marvel, so, I couldn’t help but wonder if that was foreshadowing about an ethnic female superhero or was it talking about some of the few ethnic women superheroes before that (Storm, Vixen coming to mind).

What do you think?

3. One of the strengths I noticed about this comic is how much more organic the characters and setting are compared to other comics we’ve read. Compared to the Green Lantern/Green Arrow series, the T-Girls book never seems forced or didactic nor does the cumulative effect of comics’ innate serialization ever muddle my understanding of what’s going on. I suspect that this comic had an influence on the America Chavez comic one way or another and that the “vibe” established in God and Science was one the America creative team was attempting to emulate. The light-hearted metafiction behind the pursuit of superpowers is a charming in-joke for hardcore comic fans without alienating newcomers to the series and the depiction of multiple generations of super-powered women assisting each other and relying on one another for comfort and advice is a stark contrast-and somewhat of a relief- from the MArvel/DC model of ultra-masculine hyperthyroidism. Those companies might want to pay closer attention if they wish to lure in more female readers.
    This comic might have been the most charming of all the books we’ve read. It establishes a world as fully realized as any of the best sci-fi and fantasy through an experiential impact rather than a massive world-building campaign.
    An excellent way to finish out the course.

4. This comic book’s plot by Jamie Hernandez was different than most comic books that we have read so far. One of the things that I liked about it was that the characters are all female illustrated with imperfect body images except for some characters like Penny Century. Penny Century actually reminded me of an amalgamation of Wonder Woman and Superman. She reminded me of Wonder Woman because of her physical features, wit and maternal instincts, especially in one instance where in the last panel, Wonder Woman is hugging a baby and praising motherhood. On the other hand, she reminded me of Superman because of her super strength compared to the other characters.

5. This reminded me of the campy Batman series of the late 60’s early 70’s and it felt a lot more lighthearted than some of the other comics we have read( I am looking at you Watchmen and TDKR). This comic did not take itself as seriously as some of its predecessors and that is a nice change of pace. I love that everything but the covers is in black and white it is a nice homage to the older comics.

6. “The Ti-Girls” was a pretty interesting read. As I read through it, it became clearer and clearer that it was a piece of creative criticism; not only did it tell a story using the graphic novel genre, but it also took time to address some of the pivotal publication issues there have been throughout history. One of the critical approaches this comic takes is its address of female heroism in publication history. There are very few male characters in this narrative, and none of them play a heroic role, so the emphasis is definitely placed on the function of female heroes. I was very amused by the self-actualized moment on page 82 of the comic when Angel’s mother is explaining “the gift” to her daughter. “No, no! That’s another special thing about it. Guys don’t get it. They gotta go out an’ have lab accidents and other stuff to get their cojones but we got it born right in us.” Not only is that quote hilariously accurate, but it also places power directly in the hands of the female characters here. Females are the only ones who naturally inherit powers in this world. I thought it was also significant that in such a female-empowered society, there was still the character of Dr. Zolar who sought to capitalize on the heroines’ powers and abilities. With all of Penny Century’s character flaws, I think it can be argued that he’s the real villain of this narrative; not only does he try to financially manipulate the superheroes, but he also romantically manipulates them and tries to pit them against each other, especially in the case of Espectra/Fuerza and Golden Girl. I think it’s certainly possible to read him as a symbolic representation of the masculine capitalist enterprise that has nonetheless taken advantage of empowered, individualistic female superheroes.